Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Sowing direct scares me

but today I took the plunge.

As the M-I-L turned her nose up to turnips and wanted swedes instead, I've sown a row of Best of All swedes and chanced a half row of Beetroot Albina Vereduna and Wodan.

As the soil is still pretty heavy, I'd raked the bed, formed a couple of channels with a hoe, filled them with compost and sowed the seeds in there. Covered it with a fleece hoop network for some reason. Primarily to keep the scorching sun off as the babies pop through, but also to protect from the night chill. No-one else on the plot has done it, so I'm thinking "overkill", but like I say in the title, sowing direct scares me and I don't want to find a couple of rows of compost in a few days time and no bloomin seedlings !.

Perhaps already mentioned, where this bed is sitting, was where the cow poo was initially dumped last autumn before spreading it over the other beds. We'll see what incredible hulk mutant roots appear.

Water is running out. Down to half in both butts now, but had to give the broadies another soak - more of The Sutton germinated now.

Had another rake of the 5x5 and stuck all the big lumps which wouldn't break down, around the sunflowers leaving the rest of the bed looking pretty even but very dusty.

Possible showers tonight ........ I'm wanting a good heavy load !

Never satisfied ? Moi ?

Au revoir les jardinieres (made up word, probably wrong but you get the idea).

xxx

No comments: