Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The trouble with 8' Canes

Is that when you're only 5'4", you can't reach the top ! After perching on a kerbstone, swaying and teetering rather a lot, I managed to pinch out one of the Gigantes ! I'll drag out one of the chairs tonight and do the rest (that need it).

Did some hand weeding last night and tried to hoe the leek bed without shoving all the weeds in the holes ! There must be a better way for next year, I'm going to have to think about it.

Watered the swedes as instructed.

Mr Sec can't see why I want a fence on the shed side of the plot after all, I can use the shed without the barrier being there. Well I can walk can't I ? I'll just walk out of the front gate, take a couple of swift right turns and STILL use the shed ! Men - huh ! lol

Have been thinking about next year already. Think I might turn the left had bean trellis 90o which will provide lot's of screening in that corner. Beans on the north side of the trellis might suffer though, so it might only be a one sided trellis lol.

I think I'm definitely going to invest in some planks and additional loam though to try and raise the whole plot a foot (or at least the beds). GYO mag are offering a tonne of blended loam at a discount this month, may well take them up on their kind offer and just keep it on the front lawn (such a waste of growing space and would save me having to cut it) ready to ship it up to the lottie bag by bag. Sadly I don't see a way of having a big bag dropped off @ the lottie. The committee would freak if I just had it dropped over the fence. lmao

Now that I've got at least half of the beds defined, I can take proper measurements and get sawing.

One more bed to dig, will have a go at that tonight.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoying your blog. I don't think a Ton of soil is as much as you expect. From memory it will cover an area of 6 square yards to a depth of 6 inches. If you really mean a "tonne" (an American measure) it will be even less.

MrsKP said...

buggar ! roflmao

Just looked out the mag and the offer is for 1m3 bags @ £84.99 less 10% including delivery.

You'll have possibly read about the potential for flooding over the winter and although the ground isn't too bad now despite the occasional torrential pour, I thought that raising the beds would be a good idea. I can't run to two bags though. Hazard a guess at how high I could raise the existing beds with one bag. My brain is in melt down atm.

Thanks for taking the trouble to leave a comment though.

Erm, do I know you ?? :-)

Anonymous said...

No Mrskp we don't know each other.

I simply recall ordering a load of topsoil for a garden and being very disappointed at how little depth I got over a large area.

In terms of the maths I see it as follows:- From your last post your plot is 28ft by 19 = 532 sq ft/9 = 59.1 sq yds.

If 1/3 of your plot is paths then the remaining 40 yds will only get about 1 inch of your cubic metre of soil. If 1/2 your plot is paths it goes up to 1.3 inches.

Not a lot is it??

If it were me I'd spend some of the dosh on a load of well rotted FYM and double dig your beds in the winter. The addition of the bulky material allied with loosening the compacted subsoil would probably get you 6-8" depth as well as providing a much better growing medium. Ok you need to repeat on a selective bed basis in the future, but I'm sure that you would derive more satisfaction from improving rather than importing your soil.

Hope this helps.

MrsKP said...

It saves me £84.99 that's what it does ! lol

My back is also screaming NOOOOOOOO!

I've hit subsoil mostly all the beds I've dug and it's not easy work ! But thanks to you, I shall concentrate my efforts into obtaining some WRM (I have a source, must make contact again) and improve what's done.

Thanks again, please feel free to pop in anytime.

MrsKP