Sunday, September 16, 2007

Another full shift

spent painting and building the raised beds. Only three to go now. My sawing needs a little bit more elbow grease. I'm sure it shouldn't take 10 mins to get through a 2"x2" post !

For the past month or so we've had precious little of the wet stuff. That's all changed now probably because it's the weekend and the big man knows I've got things to do ! Still can't complain, everything needed it.

Filled the compost bin............... again ! Tidied up my corner of the shed and the OH took all our remaining rubbish bags up the tip, so we are progressing.

I can see bumps in the Gigantes beans so I just hope the howling overnight wind and rain has left them intact. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the metal fence as well. Clever neighbour has dug and weeded right up to the foundations of the posts leaving them really loose. Should have concreted them in. Just hope the wind blows the fence his way rather than mine !

Picked another bag full of chard, Blue Lake climbing beans and broad beans although this may well be the last picking of the BBs as rust seems to have got hold pretty badly. The Brittle Wax dwarf french beans are doing nada ! Some were eaten (by others) to the point of destruction, so I pulled a few and composted them.

Sweet peas are still flowering and runner beans have a few measly specimens left. Leeks are at the first stages of rust. Keep trying to cut off the infected leaves. Don't know how they'll end up ! Cabbages look to be eaten a bit, and lower swede leaves are like tea bags. Should really take the netting off and have a closer examination. Swedes are definitely swelling and look more like swedes than last years rotten attempts.

It will be a day in the shed today building again after a quick visit to B&Q. See if I can pick up any compost/manure bargains.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless you Mrs, it's a full time job isn't it? I got in at 7pm tonight, putting brassicas in and edging the beds with pansies, it has to look pretty!! Always enjoy reading your blog, take care

MrsKP said...

Hi my love, I'd gladly swap this job for the one behind the desk, if only someone would pay me !!!

Agreed with the pretty bit. When I was first starting out I saw in a mag a lady's plot, everso neat and hanging baskets and nasturtiums everywhere, all neatly manicured and tidy like. That's my inspiration. Shame I've lost the mag now lol

Doesn't look too good out there today, so won't be getting much done tonight either, may take up some half baked leaf mould from last year and a bag or two of riddled grow bags to try and fill one of the beds and to inspect any damage and then hit it big over the weekend, rain or sleet !

Don't like winter fuzzem fuzzem.

:-D