Sunday, September 09, 2007

Machine gun turrets and barbed wire will be up next

Managed to drag the OH out of his bit early early today, so we were up at the lottie by about 10am. Of course I'd already fallen out of bed at about 5am so I'd already done the B&Q run to get more fence paint, popped past the office to pick up my mobile that I'd left on my desk (not noticed it was missing until I got up), gone and got petrol and liquid refreshments for the day and swept the rubbish bin commonly known as the street. That's twice in two weeks, I've swept up a black bag's worth of rubbish. I must definitely get the letter written to the council and the school. Trouble is, no-one else sees it, or cares. It would only take 5 mins for each householder (or their partners) to clear their bit of frontage, but no-one else seems prepared to get off their backsides.

Rant over and onto the good stuff.

The OH's grandpa is moving from a house to a smaller flat now that he's on his own. It's a sensible solution really, he'll have a concierge and secure front door, he won't have to bother with the garden (bad mobility) and it's near his club which is where he spends most of his time. So Friday night we went over and raided the shed. Got quite a few hanging baskets and brackets (will be used on the lottie), copious different bottles of feed, weedkiller, slug pellets, cat deterrent pellets, tools (broke the spade yesterday though), some half used bags of compost and top soil (I know exactly where they are going), and got first refusal on the hose and power washer when Gavin has finished cleaning the patio before he moves. It was like Christmas ! Will try and keep him in crops in exchange.

Back to the lottie ..... dug a few more holes for posts and got another three panels erected and painted. It wasn't exactly trouble free, but not much swearing went on and only broke one drill bit. Let's put it this way, I will never be the strongest girl in the world, and the OH will never be a project manager.

The panels/posts aren't entirely level (but neither was the ground so it appears), but at least the posts are straight and reasonably solid. We're one pallet short to complete the side run, but have plenty of posts. Each post will have a hanging basket attached (see Grandpa's shed), Need to get some cross members in to support the canes for next year and once the beans have grown to the top, you won't see that the posts are uneven !

Consigned the last courgette to the compost bin (which had sunk sufficently to refill with the stuff I'd left under some black plastic). Took the hoses up and filled the butts, hopefully that will be the last time I have to do that this year.

Managed not to wreck the tap this time. Gave Ahmed's Bosnian a haircut, tidied up and came home in time for the football. Still loads to do (another four raised beds for starters), but it's definite taking shape and looks something like my mind wants it to be.

Another fuscha exhibition to attend today, so will do a bit of plot watering before we go.

Hope yours is good.

xx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs KP,

The lottie is looking great. I'm loving the fence and can picture the hanging baskets. They should attracts lots of good visitors to your crops.

Hope you enjoyed the Fuchsia show.

Jo.

MrsKP said...

Hi Jo, never got to the show nor did any watering as it happens, ended up going for rather a huge lunch which left me floundering like a beached whale on the settee !

Aiming to get up there tomorrow night and make another couple of beds and I reckon that I can co-erce the OH to lend another hand over the weekend.

Having looked through my seed box, I'm beginning to panic about not having enough room/beds now though. lol Something tells me that next doors garden will be acting as an overspill again and that the 5'x5' will definitely end up as a square foot garden with lots of replacement crops being brought on at home ! I need a master plan !

:-)
xx