Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Another bag of goodies for tea

Cut more chard last night, and three more beetroot. There are plenty of gaps in the beds now but nothing quite ready to replace them with.

I was going up just to measure up for a couple of raised beds (I found a pine bed frame at the dump wood skip over the weekend and it was just too good to pass up). However, the weeds round the leeks were saying "pick me, pick me" so I had a bit of a hoe around them which took an a hour. I kept hitting the leeks - oops. Still I hope they'll forgive me.

Pulled nearly all the radishes growing under the Blue Lake bean tee pee. So I'll take those to work today and nibble on them. 6 weeks they took to grow, I suppose I've still got time to so some more. I'm finding it difficult climbing in through the tee pee though so I might just give them a row of their own somewhere. Such a wasted space under the trellises and in the tee pee, but it's such a faff getting to it.

Same with the strawbs. They're sitting under the same netting as the cabbages and swede and I just can't be bothered to take the netting off for about 5 strawbs. Everything will have it's own netting cage next year.

Cut a load more comfrey, put it in a carrier bag and speared it, then chucked it into the water butt (that already has some in a fleece bag). Stinks to high heaven. Don't know when to feed stuff tbh with you. Nothing has needed watering and it slips my mind that I should feed things !

When it rains, I take the lids off the butts to catch more of the precious stuff, but I'd put them back on last night (to protect against evaporation). Was glad I did as it's clear blue sky again this morning.

Will definitely get up there tonight with the tape measure.

No comments: