Friday, August 24, 2007

Decisions decisions

I've made one ! No more planting at the lottie until the raised beds are built. Going to pop into/phone a couple of timber yards today/tomorrow and price up either 41 x 8' or 26 x 12' gravel boards plus 5 x 6' 2x2 and damn the expense. If I wait until I find enough suitable skip material I'll wait forever, so as I've got a week hollibobs next week, I'm going to see how much it will be to deliver, get my trust hammer out and start building.

Managed to get a carrier bag full of goodies last night, chard, dwarf beans, the odd runner, lettuce and I cleared the onion bed.

Couldn't see that they were going to get any bigger and I needed to clear the bed. Gave it a good rake and flattened it out and then covered it up. Once the RBs are built I'll sow some green manure in there, but for the time being black is the new green.

The hunions are now back at base having been cleaned up a bit and drying in one of the mini g/hs.










The flower patch is looking very busy and even saw a few brave bees going about their business. The weather has been lovely for the past couple of days, but noticeably colder in the mornings. I just hope that there's still enough heat left to get the runners/lima beans to a good size.

I can't even remember what is growing up the tee pee now, think it was Blue Lake. Picked a few anyway to throw in the stir-fry.

The cabbages and swede look as if they're doing what they should. I've just been ignoring them, so have no idea when I'm supposed to pull them. Will be a while yet I suppose. I'll ask Greenhouse John. These beds are being split next year running cross ways, so they'll need to get their skates on.

I'm going to lift the strawberries and have them in hanging baskets next year too. Think I'll take these home for the winter. Don't know how they'd cope with prolonged flooding but don't think it would be good.

Right ........... must away.

No comments: