Saturday, August 25, 2007

Oh much excitedness

Up at the crack of dawn and went and ordered the wood for the raised beds.

Yes, it was about £80 over budget, and yes they did charge 50p a cut, and yes they can't deliver until Wednesday, and yes I will have to be at the allotment at about 7.30am BUT by the end of my hollibobs I will have at least one, if not more of the 7 beds built, filled and possibly planted (if my second tray of turnips gets a move on).

My obsessive compulsive nature hates the free for all of no side beds and with the potential pesky flooding, it will mean everything will drain that much faster.

Monday is daughter day, so no lottying while she's still up here, but Tuesday will be spent trying to make some curved raised bed sides from some left over pvc window trims and concreting a couple of fence posts and then Wednesday will be carting all the wood from the gate and painting with sealant (plant friendly so the bucket says).

I'm almost as excited by this DIY phase of the project as the growing phase and then next year I'm going to suggest "Best Looking Plot" competition. Ahhhhhhh I can see it now. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

MrsKP Your plot is looking fantastic, can't believe you only took it on earlier this year.

When you start building the raised beds I would recommend nailing rather than screwing - far less effort and quicker results...

MrsKP said...

Oh but don't the planks split ?? I read it somewhere in a boooook! Got me hammer and nails packed in the bag too though. the 5'x5' already have one hole screwed in each end already, so i might as well make the most of that, but i think enthusiasm will wane once the battery runs out on the drill lol.

Will take pics.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm being a bit impatient with it all, but I can't wait for it looking nice as well as producing - the obsessive compulsive side aye ?

:-)