Saturday, May 26, 2007

The rain washed the blues away

Must admit to feeling a little disheartened last night. I felt that even my wee ickle plot was going to be too much for me to cope with.

When I came away last night, I had lots of fears that when I turned over the rest of the half that we've almost finished, I'd find as many roots that I hadn't seen the first time ! In fact it wasn't at all bad !

I was up there at 8am and promptly trod on my fork which went straight through my wellie lol. I haven't actually taken my sock off yet to have a look, but it's not sore so it will wait til i have a shower and soak it in disinfectant !!!!! Then within half an hour of getting there, it POURED !!! But I kept going and 10 mins later it stopped and the sun came out and more or less stayed out all day.

The ground was easyish to work with the little bit of rain on it, so by 11am when the OH phoned me to say he was up, I'd got the runner bean/climbing bean bed roped off and raked and the first courgette bed was just levelled and finished. That's two more beds ready than I thought I'd have last night !

Went and got OH (we're only a 10 min drive from the lottie), was fed and watered and stayed up there until 4pm.

If we have another reasonable couple of days, I reckon that by next week I'll be planting ! YIPPEEEEEEE!!!!!

I don't want to put anything in this weekend in case this cold snap arrives but with a bit of luck half the plot will be completely ready and beds roped off by Monday night ! Then I'll start taking the tunnel hoops and fleece up there and get the courgettes and squash in at the very least.

We have nightmare winds up here so I don't want to put the beans in just yet as I lost a load last week hardening them off on the deck.

Joy of joys, we think we saw a mummy, daddy and baby thrush ! Never seen one before so we're not entirely sure, but they were about the size of a big blackbird and speckledy. I was thrilled. And then it got better, heard some chirruping, turned round and there was Mummy/daddy robin feeding a baby in the doorway of the shed. As soon as i moved to get the camera, baby disappeared... shame.

THEN when I got back to the house, I had to do the plot ! So all in all I did a 12 hour shift today and loved every single minute of it. Grin

I realise that i'd just fallen into the first timer trap of feeling overwhelmed but once I'd got up there, I just got stuck in and once I'd got the first bed done, I was back to being Little Miss Positive again.

We picked up another for sale signpost on the way home (for fencing) so that's 3 I've got now ! There's another one waiting for me north of the river so may go and get that tomorrow if the weather is rubbish.

Here's today's efforts.


























Now I've just got to keep my fingers cross that the weather people have got it wrong for the rest of the weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well done Mrs on getting the plot and doing so well,it's bloody hard work allotmenteering, but rewarding as well,plant lots of flowers for those lovely insects!!
btw your greenhouse situation is alot like mine,toms,chillis, aubs everywhere, isn't enthusiasm wonderful!! best wishes and happy gardening /shades x

MrsKP said...

enthusiasm or obsession ? either way it's grand !

I've potted up another 3 hanging baskets of toms and petunias today, and haven't got a clue where to put them. Far too cold to go outside overnight yet !

Will take a pic when they're all tucked up in bed tonight just to show how ridiculous it's all getting lol.

When I see a bug, I think of you.

:-)
xx