Thursday, May 24, 2007

Scarcity of worms

We've only found one or two worms since starting on the lottie.

The lovely Mr Sec said that about 10 years ago the nasty Australian Flat Worm was found on the site but he's not seen any in years.

I wonder how long it will take for our indigenous species to return, if it ever could. It also makes me wonder how I'm going to get anything worked into the soil without digging it in.

Could I introduce some from the garden as we have plenty ?

Answers on a postcard please.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

KP, when I first started to dig over my plot I had very few worms too, but this season every spadeful is bursting with them - digging, plants growing and improving the soil seems to attract them.

You are really making progress - looks like you've abandoned sleep altogether !

MrsKP said...

That's comforting to know mc55. I thought I'd have to unlearn everything about worms taking stuff down into the soil i.e. I'd have to dig forever ! lol. I shall continue to monitor !

Sleep ? What's that ? The family of the loud voiced and heavy footed variety came in at 3am last night. I even had to plug my ears ! I shall invest in some proper ear plugs !

Anyway, there'll be plenty of time for sleeping later. :-)